Holding hands into old age, laughing at your partner’s jokes even when you don’t find them funny and knowing when to bite your tongue — that’s true love, according to those who’ve experienced it the longest.
A study of 2,000 over 50’s explored the real extent of the ‘for better for worse’ elements of long-lasting love to unveil 50 signs of the real thing- with building a home together and not being afraid to show vulnerability high on the list.
Researchers delved into the intricacies of a successful relationship and unearthed the 50 most popular responses to the question ‘what is love?’.
Saying ‘I love you’ at least nine times a week was also integral to long-term happiness, results showed.
Encouraging silliness in one another, learning to get along with the in-laws and avoiding jealousy if the other person spends time with the opposite sex were also deemed key factors in cementing a long-lasting love.
The research, commissioned by http://www.retirementmove.co.uk, found that on average love blossoms four and a half months into a new relationship.
Richard Drew, CEO of www.retirementmove.co.uk, said: “The list of what it takes to make love last covers a range of warm, quirky and honest pearls of wisdom from people who have really experienced love in all its forms.
“What the data reveals is that the warmest bonds and most valued memories aren’t necessarily always the big standout things like exciting holidays or calendar moments, but actually in the living and enjoying of one another day to day.
“Building a home together proved a central concept to long-lasting love and shows that so much of the way we think about love comes from that sense of feeling at home and belonging to a place.”
Results showed that home really is where the heart is – when quizzed on their favourite memories with their partner, people in the UK were most likely to cite ‘just being at home with them’, with two thirds saying these beat holidays, birthdays and Christmases.
Nearly a quarter of those retired said the best thing about not having to work was getting spend quality time with the person they loved.
While two thirds thought love definitely gets stronger with age, just one in 12 per cent thought otherwise. Here are the top 50 secrets to lasting love according to the over 50’s studied…
1. Supporting each other through tough times
2. Building a home together
3. Not taking each other for granted
4. Missing your partner when they are away
5. Remembering the little things
6. Not being afraid to show weakness
7. Being ‘in tune’ with each other
8. When you can comfortably sit in silence
9. Agreeing to disagree sometimes
10. Knowing when something is wrong
11. Holding hands while in your fifties and later
12. Wanting them to let you know they arrived safely after a long journey
13. Being able to confide in them about anything
14. Valuing your partner’s needs over your own
15. Laughing at each other’s jokes – even if not funny
16. Going for a long walk together
17. Worrying for their safety when they go on a night out/away
18. Making tea/coffee for each other
19. Feeling comfortable discussing medical or health issues
20. Remembering life is for living
21. Encouraging your partner in their career
22. Supporting each other when parenting
23. Not having to dress to impress them
24. Knowing when to bite your tongue
25. Having adventures together
26. Suffering no embarrassment at total nudity with each other
27. Encouraging silliness in each other
28. Arranging surprise breaks away
29. Cooking a nice mid-week dinner
30. Feeling a sense of pride at how your partner conducts themselves
31. Sitting through television/films you hate but partner likes
32. Being able to insult them without them taking it personally
33. Tidying up after yourself
34. Getting on with your in-laws no matter how difficult
35. Bringing home food (or cake) without being asked
36. Sharing your last Rolo
37. Being able to talk absolute gibberish
38. Not minding them looking at other men/women
39. Not being grossed out/ put off by anything they do
40. Recording your favourite programme for you
41. Admitting when you’re rubbish at DIY
42. Finishing each other’s sentences
43. Knowing what to order at the bar without asking
44. Boasting to other people about your partner’s achievements
45. Giving your partner control of the television
46. Watching soaps together
47. Getting up early to sort out the kids
48. Getting nice presents especially jewellery
49. Liking each other’s’ friends
50. Hating the same things
Almost Half Of NI Diners Use The Food Hygiene Rating Scheme To Choose Where To Eat Out This Valentine’s Day
The Cannabis Debate – Why Should We Legalise It In The UK?
#SlimForTheSummer: Is It Just Physical Weight I Need To Lose Or Is There More To It?
Hope 4 ME & Fibro Northern Ireland Hold A Successful Event Opposing PACE Trial
REVIEW: Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chip
The Single Person’s Guide To Surviving Valentine’s Day
Over 50’s Reveal Their Top 50 Secrets To Lasting Love
Occupancy Figures For NI’s Hotel Industry Confirm Sector Optimism
Marilyn Monroe’s Lips And Cheryl Cole Smoky eyes – Most Iconic Beauty Trends Of All Time
“Im Doing This For My Dad” Popstar Shelley To Step Back Into The Limelight For Late Father
Pet Owners ‘Happier, Fitter and Wealthier’ Than Counterparts
Limelight To Host All-Day Fundraiser Gig For The Distortion Project
Seven In Ten Women Hit Peak Fitness At 28
4 Vital Signs That Someone You Love May Be Suicidal
A Terrible Tragedy Made Amanda Re-evaluate Her Life, She Found Solace In Living Life As A Pirate
5 Top Tips To Travelling On The Cheap
The Scandal Of The £5M PACE Trial For ME: What Can Be Done?
Q&A: Author Jim McComish Tells Us About His New Book The Reluctant Rapparee
Give The Guy An Oscar! Leonardo DiCaprio’s Top 5 Film Roles That Prove He’s Due
NI Actor Stephen Hagan Is A “Lucky Man” As He Bags Top Sky 1 Role With Fellow Co Antrim Star James Nesbitt
Why The Government Are Really Stopping You Using Mind Bending Drugs With Positive Health Benefits
Want To Find A Zest For Life This Spring, Here’s How
Belfast’s Titanic Creative Management Bound For LA
Artist Lee James, AKA Roysta, Reveals Where Life Led Him Beyond His Hedonistic Dirtcore Days
10 Secrets Of Short Story Writing To Help You Craft The Perfect Tale
Top 10 Tips To Getting Your Wedding Entertainment Right From Someone In The Know
A Passion For Local History Inspired Author Jim McComish To Write The Reluctant Rapparee
Author Larry Hunter Asked God To Show Him Hell, What He Saw Was Worse Than He Could Have Imagined
Just Over Half Of Women Already Own A Vibrator Or Would Consider Buying One, A Study Has Found…
“Mudd Was A Music Man From His Head To His Toes”: A Tribute To NI Producer Mudd Wallace